The Company was blighted by years of underinvestment. To remain competitive the Company embarked on a major project to improve operational efficiencies and asset utilization.
PROBLEM DESCRIPTION AND SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:
Modernization and improvements are needed for the traction control and signaling network.
A new SCADA system (master station and RTUs) is needed to provide for control and monitoring of this expanded traction network.
The system needs the capability to handle the expected future growth and remain within the performance requirements.
- Redundant servers, in an Active/Primary and Hot Standby configuration.
- All status input changes are time stamped to millisecond resolution to enable the sequence of events to be determined.
- Displays to allow an operator to carry out switching on a line, and to clearly see the effect of that switching, without having to change between displays.
- Provide custom live line equations.
- Disaster recovery control center.
Train Control systems have developed over the years to the point where large scale centralized control is attractive and viable.
Utilizing”off the shelf” control systems products and PC based technology to develop a cost effective and functional train control system which has the ability to expand in order to meet the needs of the future. Particular attention has been paid to the reliability and availability of the system especially with regard to LAN communications, main processing CPU’s and communications links.
RealFlex and QNX have responded well to the rigors and processing requirements of a Train Control system. The Train Control centralization project has been challenging, and the end result is a positive reflection on all involved, including all Train Control Operators who have used and commented on the system.
REALFLEX SYSTEMS SOFTWARE:
RealFlex4 servers, RealFlex 6 servers, Flexview HIM operator consoles, Automatic Failover, Modbus I/O driver, DNP3 TCP/IP I/O Driver, RFLink.
All hardware is non-proprietary industry standard from reputable manufacturers.